Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Insult me, insult everyone!

It really makes me angry when people think that adoption is a “noble” or “special” thing. A few people have made comments to me – directly or indirectly – and I, for one, am angry.

What makes adoption unique? Do people walk up to pregnant women and thank them for continuing the human race? Hell no.

I am someone who has chosen to build her family through adoption. No different than someone choosing to have a biological child. Bottom line.

Don’t insult people for doing what they feel is the right thing for them. It IS insulting.

Why? It’s a choice. Its something to be happy for me about. Excited, even.

But don’t tell me its noble to adopt. Like Karen at
  • http://thenakedovary.typepad.com The Naked Ovary
  • said, it belittles not only the parents … and we will all be parents … but it degrades the value of the child. Notice, I did not say adopted child, as it is feeling that once a child is adopted, they are a true son or daughter. It puts the child in a secondary position, and that is not fair.

    So, my feeling is: Say this to me again, and duck. I’m ready and loaded for bear.