Monday, January 13, 2014

Secrets

I've kept a secret from you. Its not one that I'm particularly proud of, but its a secret, nonetheless.

I'm unemployed. I was laid off the week before Thanksgiving from a company I'd been with over a year. Now for those of you who have been following me for a while, you know how big a deal this is. Not the unemployment part of it, but the year plus part of it.

I've been a devoted wife, mother, and support system for my household, my family and my extended family. I'll throw friends in that mix too, because I've had many times in the past few years I've reached out to acquaintances and supported them because its been the right thing to do at that time.

Back to the longevity. Yea. More than a year at a job has not been accomplished for me since 2005. Yes, you read that right. Almost 10 years. I'm as amazed at that statement as you are. I've filled the past decade being that support system, a mother, a moving consultant, a vet, whatever was needed. In most cases on top of my regular 8-5 job. Because who knows what 9-5 is anymore? Seriously. The only way I ever saw a 8 hour day was if I skipped lunch and could justify it by making sure everything was done for the day by the time I leave.

The past ten years has changed the landscape of the job market so much, that even though I've been in it and involved in it and worked it, I almost don't recognize it anymore. How you hunt for a job has changed. How you keep a job has changed. How you perform at your job has changed. And, oh! You get to make the same amount of money you made 10 years ago, you have no right to complain, and you get to do the job of three people. With no training.

Its taken me this long to write this because everything I usually do to find a job has failed. That last post I wrote: Ignore it.

All I know is that right now, its an Employers market, not an Employee's one.

Even in the darkest days of the Great Recession, things were ok. This time the world is flipped upside down.

I'm still figuring things out. I'm still staying positive, but I'm being forced to expand my horizons and the potential opportunities. I'm not opposed to it, but I'm certainly struggling to figure things out.

I'll keep posting my experiences and let you know how things are going.

I'm fine. The family is fine. We're fine.

Now, I'm going to clean off my desk and re-teach myself how to find a job.

I'll be back.

No comments: