Thursday, June 09, 2011

We're here!

It was quite the adventure, and I must say, Connor was a real trooper. He got a little delirious when we were flying from Boston to Los Angeles and ended up cold cocking me in the nose, but other than that, wow, did he rise to the occasion!

This has been quite the adventure! 

We move to our apartment today, but yesterday they didn't want us to go to our apartment without having the opportunity to stock it up first. Sounds like Connor and I will do that while Jon is meeting the rest of the staff at the office this morning and then we'll go out and have an official "meet and greet" with the executive team at lunch.

Jon's boss came right out and said that we can stay as long as we want, so this could really get interesting!

The Beijing airport was absolutely huge. I mean huge. Never seen anything like it. We landed around 2:30PM and got through customs and baggage claim around 4ish. We got to the office and met a few of the team and then came straight to the hotel and took showers. Let me tell you how much better we felt after that!

Dinner was simple pasta from room service and we were lights out by 9. 

Everything that you've ever heard about Chinese driving is true, by the way. No rules, only suggestions. I can tell you that I won't be driving here anytime soon. Pedestrians are some of the bravest people, hands down. This is going to be really interesting!

Tianjin is a very modern city. Much more so than I thought it would be. We'll walk around and explore a little more over the next few days, but so far, I'm impressed for a city of 15 million people.

The office manager at Jon's office is so sweet. She's been tasked with finding us a nanny/assistant/translator so things aren't so difficult. She'd determined that Connor be able to speak some Mandarin by the end of the summer -- bring it on! I think it would be great for him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! More Expats!!! I've been living in the middle east now for over 3 years and it's the hardest thing I've ever done. BUT it changed the way I see just about everything; especially myself. Have a great first week =D